The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program's next "Sandwiching in History" tour will visit the Melrose Place Addition in North Little Rock on November 5, AHPP Director Frances McSwain announced today.
Located in the northwest corner of the Argenta Historic District, the Melrose Place Addition was platted in 1924 by Twin City Bank. The bank constructed 53 small Craftsman bungalow houses in the addition between 1925 and 1929. These homes feature similar plans and were historically occupied by railroad employees. The Melrose Place Addition is the only deviation from the traditional street grid pattern in Argenta.
The tour will begin in front of 108 Melrose Circle and will include a tour of that house.
The "Sandwiching in History" tour series targets Pulaski County structures and sites. The noontime tours are held on Fridays and include a brief lecture and tour of the subject property. Participants are encouraged to bring their lunches with them. The final 2010 "Sandwiching in History" tour, the Herschell-Spillman Carousel at the Little Rock Zoo, will be held December 3. All tours are free and open to the public. For information, call the AHPP at (501) 324-9880, write the agency at 1500 Tower Building, 323 Center St., Little Rock, AR 72201, send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the agency web site at www.arkansaspreservation.org.